Thank you for visiting EBMA's Homepage!
2nd EBMA Bluegrass Pioneers and Personalities Awards
Congratulations to this year's receipients of an EBMA Bluegrass Pioneer / EBMA Bluegrass Personality Award, namely:
2014 European Bluegrass Pioneers:
THE COUNTRY RAMBLERS (Switzerland)
RUEDIGER HELBIG (Germany)
PETR KUKLIK and JAN HONZA MACAK (Czech Republic)
European Bluegrass Personality 2013:
ROSTA CAPEK (Czech Republic)
The Award ceremony will take place during the late concert of the Lonesome River Band on Saturday 15th March 2014, 20:30hrs, as part of the 6th European Bluegrass Summit. Both summit and concert take place at the Hotel OREA Pyramida in Prague.
About EBMA's EBPPP
In 2012 the EBMA Board set up the European Bluegrass Pioneers and Personalities Project (EBPP) to recognise and acknowledge the past and present most influential European musicians, promoters, journalists, DJs, luthiers, experts, and others who contributed, and still contribute, in a relevant and significant way to establish or popularise the bluegrass music genre in Europe, and to create a European bluegrass scene and community.
The EBPPP Selecting Committee
The EBMA Board formed a special Selecting Committee comprising Paolo Dettwiler, Eberhard Finke, Richard Hawkins, Lilly Pavlak, Christian Seguret, and Bruno Steffen, with Martino Coppo as non-voting chairman. The criteria for selecting European Bluegrass Pioneers & Personalities are:
- To be born in Europe or to have lived in European countries long enough to be considered European ‘naturalised citizens’;
- To be representative of the European bluegrass culture;
- To have inspired others to join the European bluegrass community;
- To have acted in harmony with the principles of the EBMA's mission statement;
- Pioneers: To have been among the first who had a significant impact on the popularisation of the bluegrass music genre in their own country or area in Europe, with special reference to their popularity and longevity in the bluegrass music community;
- Personalities: To have promoted or contributed to promote special projects or have reached special achievements during the last year.
Members of the selection committee and serving members of the EBMA board are ineligible for nomination.
To register for the 6th European Bluegrass Summit and/or the concert, please go to http://www.ebma.org/ebs or contact bluegrass.summit( at )ebma.org.
6th European Bluegrass Summit, Fri 14 - Sun 16 March 2014
Lonesome River Band to headline concert on Saturday evening
The 6th European Bluegrass Summit will once more take place in the beautiful city of Prague, hosted by Rosta Capek and Ivana Louková, two very experienced promoters and organisers. As a highlight, Ivana and Rosta have arranged for a concert with the one and only Lonesome River Band to be presented on the Saturday of our summit, which will frame the presentation of the second set of EBMA pioneers and personality awards. The concert is about to be sold out shortly. EBMA has a limited number of tickets to the concert available for summit participants, so an early registration for the summit is highly recommended!
As in previous years, attendees are invited from all European regions and beyond, the costs and arrangements for travel, subsistence and accommodation are the entire responsibility of the participants. A number of rooms have been reserved in the OREA Hotel Pyramida****, Belohorska 24, Prague 6. Therefore early booking is advised.
Panel sessions to replace table discussions
The board of EBMA feels that the round table discussions that formed the core of previous summits have served their purpose well in getting the summit positioned as a building block of the European Bluegrass scene and that we should now move towards more practical sessions along the lines of IBMA’s World of Bluegrass.
Bluegrass Europe has become more and more colourful with the printing market now allowing for a full colour print. At the same time, the EBMA board decided to lower the rates for advertising. Please check out our rates!
EBMA board of directors
Petr Brandejs, Czech Republic
Martino Coppo, Italy
Christopher Howard-Williams, France
Rienk Janssen, The Netherlands
Chris Keenan, Ireland
Dagfinn Pedersen, Norway
Angelika Torrie, Switzerland
Our mission statement:
Working together to support Bluegrass Music across borders.
- EBMA works towards an integrated European bluegrass scene that enjoys strong, mutually supporting relations with international and national organisations.
- EBMA promotes and facilitates the sharing of Bluegrass enjoyment across borders (regional or national)
- EBMA supports bands, fans, musicians, organisations, professionals and everything connected with Bluegrass
- EBMA is a non-profit, professionally-run, dynamic and inclusive organisation
- EBMA adopts the core values of IBMA
The European Bluegrass Music Association strives to
a) further bluegrass music in Europe by getting more people interested and involved,
b) further European bluegrass musicians and bands and
c) enhance bluegrass music's image.
This shall be achieved in particular by:
- annual gatherings
- a website as the main means of communication
- contacts between European bluegrass people (networking)
© 2014 European Bluegrass Music Association
EBMA, c/o A. TORRIE | FIECHTHAGSTRASSE 4 | CH-4103 BOTTMINGEN | SWITZERLAND
Ph: +41 61 423 96 91 • Fx: +41 61 423 96 90